Friday, January 10, 2014

Enjoying Costa Rica with all five senses

Break time is at 10:00 am until 10:30 every morning because we have Spanish class from 8:00- 12:00 pm.

My teacher for Spanish for health professions. Today we learned how tell a patient we are taking their blood pressure and commands to go along with it. An embarrassing moment in class was when we had to write about one person. I wrote about my brother and said, "Sam no tiene la barbilla" but I intended to say "Sam no tiene la barba."

Colones: Right now the exchange rate is 505 Costa Rican Colón equals $1. When making purchase, I always need to do conversion factors in my head to calculate how much I am actually spending.
Touring around downtown San Jose, we found Cathedral Metropolitana. It was a beautiful catholic cathedral right in the center of town. We got to talk to a man who worked at the cathedral and he explained some of the features of it to us. 

View out of my class taken by friend Natalie

Downtown San Jose, the Cathedral Metropolitana. It was a beautiful Catholic Cathedral right in the center of town. It was beautiful and had a ton of stained glass.

New friends on campus. Everyone here is super friendly and adventurous. The first week of classes has been only exchange students (500 of us) and I am excited for the "tico" students to come.

Wonderful herb shops are all over. This one included the usage for the herbs. Here I am talking a class called alternative medicine and for a class activity we have to go out into the rain forest for the weekend and use herbs. The teacher for the class is super great and said "if I can't heal it naturally, his father in heaven is the ultimate healer."

Downtown in front of the National theater.
 I have been enjoying Costa Rica with all five of my senses and I am so blessed to have this opportunity to study in another country. This weekend I am traveling to Rio Celeste which is a coffee plantation, and then going to a volcano. Thanks again for reading!
  Dios los bendiga