Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ready, Set, Panama!



DRIVING: One of the craziest experiences in Costa Rica is the fact that Costa Ricans are crazy drivers. On the way to Panama this weekend, we were in a tourist bus and there was an accident along side the road. Instead of waiting for it to be cleared, our bus driver drove up the curb of the road, onto the grass and just went around it. I am just thankful I am not driving here and I trust I am in good hands. 
 



BOCAS DEL TORO: On Friday, we left after Spanish for Panama but we had to make it to the boarder before 5:00 pm when they closed. We made it with about fifteen minutes to spare but it was not what I expected it to be. The boarder was a bridge that had very unsteady boards going across it. Luckily nobody fell into the water and we all made it across the border.


Boarder from Costa Rica to Panama
 We traveled into Panama and for the first time I have felt like I was in a third world country. There was trash all over, very poor living conditions and the sight of poverty was prevalent. It was very sad to see the living conditions that some people were in and I learned that many of the people work for the Banana plantations (specifically Chiquita) in Panama and they work 12-16 hour days yet they get paid about $15 for a day for working. The problem is the workers don’t have any other options for work so they put up with the bad conditions.


On the water Taxi!
To get to the island, Bocas del toro, we had to take a taxi boat for about 45 minutes to where we were staying. It has always been on my bucketlist to stay at a hostel and this weekend I can finally say I checked that one off. With our group, we had three people to a room with very small beds that were not made for tall Dutch girls. They also provided one sheet on our beds but the best part of the hostel was the kitchen, or so I thought. For the first time in over a month I was able to COOK food and it was such a joyful experience even though the hostel kitchen was the farthest thing from sanitary. One morning I made oatmeal for our group and when we sat down to eat it, we discovered a huge RAT in the corner (ALIVE). One thing that I realized is that God gave me the talent of cooking and it is one of the ways I enjoy giving back to others. Not being able to cook for so long has been really tough but I am very thankful I was able to this weekend.  


STAR FISH BEACH: Saturday morning, our group went on a dolphin tour, snorkeling and then to Star fish beach. The beach is only accessible by boat and it has a few restaurants on in. The beach was perfect for snorkeling and walking around all day even thought it was not very sunny. In the afternoon, we got a game of volleyball going and some people for CHILE wanted to verse the AMERICANS. We played and luckily we beat them just at the end but they were some good competition.


STAR FISH


RED FROG BEACH: On Sunday, we squeezed into two water taxis and went to another beautiful beach called Red Frog beach. Here there are poisonous red frogs but they are beautiful. During our time at the beach, I went for a run and explored all around the trails. During my run, I was in my own little world and suddenly a monkey pooped on me! NOT FUNNY. Besides that the place was beautiful and we got to hike the trails all around to explore Gods beauty.

Hiking at Red Frog Beach



LA UNIVERSIDAD: The place I chose to study abroad was ranked one of the top 12 places to study abroad on buzzfeed (http://www. buzzfeed.com/laraparker/the-best-places-to-study-abroad I am studying abroad) and it is so obvious to me why. The professors and excursions there make it so great.  The school is great and I couldn't ask for a better place to study abroad.
Last day of Spanish class with our great class and our tiny little teacher!





REFLECTION: This past week has brought me to many places and has allowed me to experience Costa Rica even more. One of the hardest things about being here is that I want to do everything and plan my days to the fullest. Taylar reminded me this morning of a great verse in Proverbs 16:3 which states "Commit to the LORD whatever you do and he will establish your plans." This verse serves as a great reminder that in life, I have to first give the Lord my plans and he will direct me to the places I need to go. 

Sun-burnt? drink some ALOE!




Volleyball at Star fish beach
Oh Yes I do enjoy long walks on the beach


Thanks again for reading my Blog!! Have a great week! PURA VIDA